The 35th anniversary Mass took place on Sunday 12th July in Castlecoote, Co. Roscommon. Prayers were said at the graveside beside the Church.
The mass was celebrated by Fr Billy Molloy a nephew of Fr. Niall.
One year ago today The Garda Ombudsman published their report.
As is usual with our justice system there has been no reaction to it. The Garda Commissioner has not made any public statement as to it’s findings. Charlie Flanagan has dismissed us in the same fashion as Frances Fitzgerad did.
It is really not good enough.
Earlier this week, GSOC issued a scathing report into the deficiencies in the investigation of the death of Fr. Niall Molloy, which occurred in 1985. In 2015, the Fine Gael-Labour Party Government backed the DPP decision not to have a new inquiry into his death. Some 33 years on, his family and many people in County Roscommon are not happy. The programme for Government talks about a fair society for all.
In light of the GSOC report, which was released on Monday, I have two questions and I do not mind if the Taoiseach or the Minister for Justice and Equality answers. Can they inform the House if an investigation is ongoing into the death of Fr. Niall Molloy? Due to the seriousness of the information in the report that documents have gone missing, what does the Government intend to do now in relation to this case?
I assure the House, and the Deputy in particular, that there still is an ongoing Garda investigation into what is an open file. In the event that Deputy Murphy or any of his constituents have any information that might assist the gardaí in processing the issue further, I trust that the information will be forthcoming. I acknowledge the independent review undertaken by Dominic McGinn SC in recent times. As it is independent of Government, I do not have any grounds at this stage to take matters any further. It is the subject of a live and active Garda investigation.
The Crime Scene ( I should say alleged Crime Scene) of the Murder of Fr Niall Molloy was tampered with after the first Garda, Sgt Kevin Ford, arrived on the scene.
In a statement he made to the Serious Crime Review Team, Sgt. Kevin Ford ( retired ) said the following.
“ I have viewed the photographs and can say this is how I found the scene with one difference. I have a recollection that of the body being in a different position”
“Fr. Deignan was elderly man. He arrived first and said let’s move the body” – Statement from a family witness
SCRT – The Serious Crime Review Team in there final report ( 2013 ) state that ” The members involved in this current examination of issues were required to rely on the typed investigation file that was submitted to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions. The original file, job books and exhibits have not been located to date”
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/JELR/Pages/PR13000380 – No mention from Minister of documents missing from DPP’s Office.